State Testing Coordinator Contact Information:
Holly Elvins Dearixon- email@example.com
The following assessments are administered statewide in Oregon:
- Oregon Assessment of Knowledge and Skills (OAKS)
- Smarter Balanced Assessment (a new assessment that will be replacing OAKS)
- Kindergarten Assessment
- OAKS Extended (Alternate) Assessment
- English Language Proficiency Assessment 21 (ELPA 21)
- Essential Skills Assessment
- Local Performance Assessment
- National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP)
- Preliminary SAT (PSAT)
What is Smarter Balanced?
Oregon is part of a team of states working together voluntarily to develop K-12 assessments in English language arts/literacy and mathematics aligned to Oregon’s Common Core State Standards. These tests are called Smarter Balanced assessments.
How are Smarter Balanced tests different from OAKS?
- Aligned to more challenging standards, Smarter Balanced tests better measure what skills and knowledge our students need to be successful in the 21st Century.
- Test questions come in many different forms, and allow students to interact with graphs and type in their own responses in addition to selecting answers from traditional multiple choice lists. Essay questions ask students to use evidence from multiple sources of texts to create their arguments and explain their reasoning.
- Developed with experts to include tools and supports that address visual, auditory, and physical access barriers, Smarter Balanced tests are designed to meet the needs of all students.
How can I learn more?
This form is for parents and guardians to use in applying for an exemption to standardized testing requirements.
Click the following link to view or download a copy of this form in English:
Click the following link to view or download a copy of this form in Spanish: