Things you need to know
- Wednesday morning, after listening to the student’s experiences, we discussed our school being a safe place. They realized how many adults in our community are looking out for them. Thanks to Multnomah County Sheriffs office, Corbett Fire Department, Corbett Citizens Patrol, and many community members.
- Readers have a reading log that is due Monday October 1st. These logs are a way to keep track of their reading both at school and at home.
- Conferences will be happening the week of October 9th. If you have not signed up for a spot yet, please sign up on the document or send me an email about a time/date that would be more convenient for you! Conferences Fall 2018
- Jog-a-thon was so much fun! The students ran for 20 minutes straight and many of them beat their lap amount from the previous year. You can continue donating money for the next month! Our goal is for each child to raise $50 thru donations. Our annual jog-a-thon is the PTA’s only fund raiser for the school year. Funds raised go to purchasing technology, classroom books, field trips, and other classroom needs. To donate online visit: jog-a-thon 2018.
Writing: Personal Narratives
- Writers finished editing their personal narrative stories about a small moment this week!
- We continued to have one-on-one conferences about writing. We will continue to have these conferences next week.
- Writers had an opportunity to write a fictional story in one writing session.
- Readers focused on summarizing a story and sticking to the important parts of the story by using “somebody, wanted, but, so, then”.
- Readers increased their reading stamina this week to 30 minutes!
Science: Mixtures and Solutions
- Investigators were challenged to find the best recipe to create delicious kool-aid.
- We will investigate more next week to decide if it is a solution, mixture, or something else entirely!
Art: Landform Art
- Artists went to Oxbow park to create their own landform art.
- We created art pieces at the river and in the forest.
History: First Americans
- Explorers discovered the migration pattern of the first Americans.
- We investigated a variety of books about the different regions inhabited by the first Americans.