January 21, 2018

Harvest of the Month Program

Welcome back! This year in the Corbett School District, we will be serving a different local fruit or vegetable every month of the school year, using resources available from the Oregon Department of Education’s Oregon Harvest for Schools program. We know that the cafeteria can be an extension of the classroom, where students learn the healthy habits necessary for academic readiness and success. We also know that buying local foods is one way that our school can support local farms and our local economy. Plus, fresher food just tastes better!

TOMATO

September’s local food item in school lunch is tomatoes. Did you know that tomatoes are actually a fruit? They are served and prepared as a vegetable, but because they have seeds in them, they are the fruit part of the plant. Oregon tomatoes are usually available between July and September, and they are quick and easy to include in meals. Some suggestions: toss chopped red and yellow tomatoes with your family’s favorite dressing for a quick and tasty salad, add tomato slices to sandwiches, or just eat cherry tomatoes as a tasty snack that kids will love. Check out the lunch menu to see when we’ll be serving local tomatoes!

Please visit http://www.ode.state.or.us/go/h4s for more information and resources.

DeeDee Hanes About DeeDee Hanes

My husband Rick and I have lived in Corbett for twenty-nine years. We have two children, Andrew and Krissy. They both graduated from Corbett High School and were busy in the classroom and on the sports fields. Andrew went on to the University of Southern California to earn an Aerospace Engineering degree and Krissy went to the University of Oregon and graduated in International Studies. They are grateful to the Corbett School District for opening doors for them in the world of higher education.

I have worked for Corbett Schools since 1998 and teaching even longer, since 1985! I went to Oregon State and received my Bachelors Degree in Elementary Education with an Endorsement in Reading. My Masters in Educational Practices and Foundations of Administration was earned from Portland State University. I also received my Special Education Endorsement from Portland State.

My family loves to camp, play sports, board games, books, movies, and traveling. Rick spends some of his extra time helping coach the Corbett Softball Team. I may just spend some of my extra time studying gourmet cooking now that both our children are out of the house!