Summer’s Over: Time to Get Back to Work! (First 3 weeks in Houck’s Class, by Hailey Pinjagic)

Every week one of the students in our class gets to sit out the super quiz and write about what we’ve been doing.  This week’s writer was 8th grader Hailey Pinjagic.  Thanks, Hailey!

Over the last three weeks in Mr. Houck’s class, we studied and learned about different groups of Native Americans.  We got split up into groups of four, with eight groups, and we read a page of an article about Native Americans, then had to present what we learned in our reading. Some kids did skits while others just wrote some cool facts down and read them to the class.  

One of the first writing assignments we did was called the Where I’m From poems. We had to write a poem that told people how we are the way we are, like what made us the person we are today.  I did really enjoy this assignment because it got to let some people know how I grew up and why I am the person I am today.

We also started to learn about the different layers in the earth. Honestly that is not one of my favorite things to do, but I toughed it out and it feels good that I now know that.  Also we had to learn 25 different vocab words for the volcano study, and we are going to take a test on it.

Now one of my favorite things to do is write reading letters. I don’t know why, but I have always loved writing freely and I know it’s not all free writing but it’s definitely fun.  Houck gives us three prompts about our book and we have to write them, but our first thing we have to do is write a paragraph about our book and say hello and then our last paragraph has to be goodbye.   

Also this year we have reading partners. We tell them what is going on in our book, and we also have to write it down in our reading journals.  

And that is some of what happened in the last three weeks in Houck’s class.