Things you need to know:
- Wednesday morning, after listening to the kids’ experiences, we discussed our school being a safe place. Our class realized how many adults in our community are looking out for them. Our thanks to Multnomah County Sheriffs Office, Corbett Fire Department, Corbett Citizens Patrol and many community members.
- Readers have a reading log that is due Monday October 1st. These logs are a way to keep track of their reading both at school and at home.
- Conferences will be happening the week of October 9.
- Sign up or view the schedule here: Fall Conference Schedule
- We participated in our PTA Jog-a-Thon on Wednesday.
- Our goal is for each child to raise $50 through donations.
- Our annual Jog-a-Thon is the PTA’s only fundraiser for the school year.
- Funds raised go to purchasing: technology, classroom books, field trips and other classroom needs.
- To donate online: www.pledgestar.com/corbettpta
Writing: Personal Narratives
- Writers are working on editing their personal narrative stories about a small moment this week!
- We continued to have one-on-one conferences about writing. We will continue to have these conferences next week.
- The week explored writing organization. We used a personal narrative from Ralph Fletcher as our mentor text.
- We had fun coming up with homophones! I have attached our list and challenged them to find more.
Reading: Writing About Reading
- Readers focused on summarizing a story and sticking to the important parts of the story.
- Readers practiced summarizing a book they were reading by using “somebody, wanted, but, so, then”
- Readers continued to increased their stamina of reading.
Science: Mixtures and Solutions
- Investigators were challenged to create an investigation by developing a hypothesis and procedures to discover the solubility of citric acid in water.
- We developed observations, data, conclusions and analysis during and after conducting the experiment.
Art: Landform Art
- We rescheduled our trip to Oxbow Park for Monday.
- We load buses at 11:15 am for bus safety and leave at 11:40 am.
- Our young artists need to pack a sack lunch and dress for the weather.
History: First Americans
- Explorers discovered the migration pattern of the first Americans.
- We are now in six different regions of Native Americans.
- Each group read for 20 minutes and then shared their findings. They were challenged to ask more questions from the information they found.