Hello Corbett Families,
The administrative team is working hard to plan Comprehensive Distance Learning (CDL) for the fall. We learned a lot from our experience with distance learning last spring. We have been using the feedback we received from parents, staff, and students, as well as updated guidance from the Oregon Department of Education (ODE) to develop a model that will meet the educational needs of all of our students. This will be real school. Even though we won’t be meeting with students face to face for the first trimester we want you to know that we will be providing a comprehensive, well-rounded program with high expectations for our staff and students. We will be following the guiding principles of safety and wellness, connections and relationships, equity and innovation.
There are still many details to work out, but we wanted to share some of the major components of our CDL program:
- A full academic learning experience with instruction based on grade-level state content standards in all subject areas.
- Set schedules for classes. The length of the school day will be similar to our regular schedule.
- Continued services for students with disabilities, students eligible for language development services, and students with other individualized needs.
- Consistent and timely student feedback and documented assessment of learning toward state content standards.
- Frequent opportunities for families to connect with school staff (group Zoom meetings, virtual conferences, virtual principal chats).
- An emphasis on social/emotional health, including the incorporation of time for check-ins and peer interactions, and the development of a classroom culture, even when the “classroom” is remote.
- Attendance taken daily and attendance updates provided to families frequently.
- An electronic device provided to each student.
- Access to virtual orientation to ensure all students and parents know and understand virtual tools and procedures.
- Learning opportunities that go beyond a computer screen.
- Professional development opportunities for the staff to ensure they have the tools they need to create an engaging program for students.
The CDL program will look a little different at each building. Each principal will be sharing more detailed information with you soon and will host a virtual information session for families sometime in the next two weeks.
We know these are difficult times and it is often hard to keep up with the rapidly changing situation. We appreciate your patience and will attempt to keep you updated as decisions are made and plans are more firmly established.