March 12, 2020 Second Update
Today, based upon the newest information from the Oregon Health Authority, the district increased efforts to promote social distancing between students and staff to limit the possible transmission of the COVID-19 virus. These efforts are precautionary and not in response to any COVID-19 cases in the Corbett School District. Your student may come home and tell you about these changes to their daily school routines. Some of the social distancing and health strategies we introduced and reinforced today included:
- Cancelling all field trips including all athletic contests. (Currently, practices are still allowed under the official guidance offered to the District.)
- Cancelling public gatherings like plays, and school celebrations.
- Cancelling morning meetings.
- Asking students to travel outside from class to class rather than congregating in the commons.
- Promoting small group indoor recess rather than large group indoor recess.
- Promoting outdoor recess and outdoor lunch whenever weather permits.
- Encouraging students to stay home if they or a family member are sick.
- Emphasizing safe behaviors like covering coughs and hand washing.
In light of the extended school closures in Washington state the district is working to prepare plans for similar possible closures in Corbett. This coming Monday, March 16th, we will hold a staff in-service and cancel school for all students for one day. Staff will prepare curriculum in this in-service for students to be delivered electronically if a lengthy school closure is warranted because of the COVID-19 virus. This approach to preparation has been implemented by other districts in the area. School is scheduled as normal for students on March 17th, 18th, and 19th.
During the in-service plans will be finalized for providing instruction to students if we are forced to close for an extended time period. Currently staff are working and will continue to work on plans to:
- Provide high quality electronic instruction for students in grades K-12.
- Provide access to computers for students who do not have access at home.
- Provide free and reduced lunch remotely to students who request it if a closure is warranted.
- Provide individualized instruction for special education students.
Corbett School District is committed to providing quality instruction and most importantly keeping students safe. This is a fluid situation and updates will be shared as guidance is given to the district by the Oregon Health Authority, Center for Disease Control, and the Governor’s Office.